About Court In The Act.

No albums are hosted here. All files must be deleted 24 hours after download, as they are for review and criticism purposes only - provided you follow this guideline, downloading from Court In The Act is legal as per s30(1) of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. If any copyright holder has a problem with their material being posted here, get in touch and I will remove it. Let me know if any links are broken, I'll remove the post to prevent future annoyance, and will attempt to re-upload the file.

Comments make our work worthwhile. If you really enjoyed an album, tell us about it, we'd love to hear from you. If you hated it, tell us why.

Although music is a major part of all of our lives, we all have some form of external life. If there are periods in which no posts are added, I'm sorry, but that's how things happen. Even though I love blogging like this, sometimes I can't muster up the desire within myself to write about yet another album.

I'd like to say too that Court In The Act will never be run for personal profit. This means no advertisement, no premium schemes, and no LinkBucks. Megaupload is used because it strikes a fair balance between ease of upload and ease of download.

Saturday 20 August 2011

Scars - Author! Author! [1981]

This LP was brought to my attention when my Dad bought the CD of it about a year ago. He said he had it on vinyl years ago and he really enjoyed it. And since it was my dad who introduced me to The Jam (now one of my favourite bands), I decided to give it a listen.

Scars were a post-punk band from Edinburgh, and this is their only album as they split in 1982. Furthermore, the CD version of their debut comes with B-Sides and a couple of other songs as bonus tracks, so this disc contains all but about three songs the band ever recorded.

As for the album itself (or rather, the original 10 tracks), it is an extremely solid post-punk affair, reminiscent of The Cure's early work in places. The broad Scottish accent of the singer adds an extra layer of colour, and some of the tracks (e.g "Obsessions") has some very nice drum work. A standout for me is "Your Attention Please", a reading of a mocked-up nuclear strike warning that no doubt was extremely chilling in early-'80s Cold War Britain. Anyway, this album is definitely worth a listen, but don't end up desperate for more from the band, as you won't be getting it anytime soon.

M4a, ~320 kbps (VBR)


(N.b. Sorry to disappoint all you metal fans - the track entitled "Fear of the Dark" is not some lost predecessor to the Iron Maiden song of the same name.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...